Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Does anyone remember

 Does anyone remember the day when these things would have been thrown away? Worn out clothing used to be tossed. Into the trash. Not even good enough for goodwill. Now there is this and designers are doing it too. Of course I am all for recycling. I love the idea of making clothes into different items and extending their use. I have seen t-shirts made into vests, scarves, and even tote bags. BUT, I am not accustomed to seeing things made to look even older, more worn out, and to my eye, unusable. The t-shirt on the lefty doubtless started as a regular t-shirt. Add a razor blade. Voila! you have a shirt that is the next best thing to being unclothed. I'm not sure for the reason but I have seen sweatshirts which used to be to stay warm in, now cut up to the bottom of the bustline. For exercise? I do have my own opinion. And I will admit that the t-shirt to the left is probably greatly cooler than an average shirt. And I do mean weatherwise.

 Since the days of the big hair bands the youngsters have played with jeans, cutting them and making fringes. Of course then the jeans usually at least flirted with being waist high. But now I saw a designer selling cut up jeans on tv to an audience of grown women. I still consider them to be for the very young. And I hate the idea of sticking my foot into my pants and having my toes catch on the cuts. It's a weird world when buying new jeans means buying jeans that have been made to look old and worn out.

The same goes for the shorts. On pinterest there were several pics of jeans that had been cropped up to the inseam and decorated with studs. Pockets hanging out, and butt cheeks hanging out. And riding so low that according to the size of the wearer, the belly and love handles hanging out.
I saw a blog that mentioned the rules of fashion; white shoes before labor day, etc. Well, the more I look at the things on pinterest, on the blogs, in the magazines, and on the streets, the more convinced I am that There are absolutely no rules to fashion. None. There is only an age divide, a size divide, and a lifestyle divide.

1 comment:

  1. Love the first image! Amazing how it settles on the body- makes it looks interesting.

    http://www.etsy.com/shop/BaleaRaitzART

    ReplyDelete